(NOTE: The usages in this list are copyright to the one who recorded them, who in this case is me, Bruce Carleton. Under certain circumstances, however, Eric Nelson is permitted to quote himself without written permission.)
- "The Jaded Gates"--This was Eric's way of rendering the venerable Chinese metaphor for the female private parts: the jade gates. Naturally, this one gets pride of place in this list.
- "Everybody gonna spill their guts to somebody when somebody ain't around."--EN, nearing sunrise, Jan. 30 '94.
- "For every girl you talk about, there's twenty that should be fucked."--EN, nearing sunrise, Jan. 30 '94.
- "A spanner in the monkeyworks"--EN, 9:07 a.m., Apr. 20, '01 (completely sober).
- "Most of the words are really small!"--EN, explaining one of the difficulties of learning Vietnamese, Mar. 9 '94.
- "Women have an easier time of not getting fucked than men have of fucking them."--EN, date unknown.
- "Like sailing into one of those scenes from 'The Odyssey and the Ecstasy' or one of those."--EN, aboard a boat cruising in Ha Long Bay, Feb 8 '00.
- "They all gotta conjugate like butterflies."--EN, referring to the 'mos that gathered near the late-night noodle stand we frequented in '94.
- "Annie Brainsprings"--EN, date unknown.
- "Old enough to go to the politburo, old enough to get re-educated."--EN, 7:04 a.m., Mar. 5 '95.
- "Bounding and determined"--EN, 9:14 p.m., Oct. 3 '95.
- "Perverbial"--EN, 11:34 p.m., Jun. 10 '95
- "Like an enema that doesn't fit."--unattributed, but I'd guess EN, 1:39 a.m., Sep. 25 '94.
- "Better to be totally brainwashed than not at all."--Lars Tatlock, 9:40 p.m., Jul. 18 '94.
- "If I were a brick, and you were a bricklayer, would you lay me anyway?"--date unknown, probably collaborative.
- "Don't get mad, get crazy!"--unattributed... it might even have been me.
- "We had to drink the beer in order to save it."--EN, February, 2005, as we were knocking off some Tigers at the Saigon Cafe, discussing Binh Tanh Beer with John McCay, their marketing manager. (Maybe it'll inspire an ad campaign. It would, however, be more appropriate if it were Ben Tre Beer, since that was the town that was involved in the original 1968 quote.)
||All material on this Website is copyright Bruce Carleton. You may not repost, reprint, or otherwise republish, retransmit or reproduce any material on any of the pages of this Website without express permission of Bruce Carleton. All rights reserved.